You might not have noticed it yet, but EV charging stations are popping up all over the northeast. You can charge at the office, at rest stops, while you’re shopping for groceries or eating dinner at your favorite local restaurant. That’s all really a bonus though, because most EV owners do their charging from the comfort of their own homes. And with range increasing as new models come out, you’ll be surprised where an EV can take you.
You're In Charge With Tom Papa: Episode 2
Become an EV Charging Expert Like Comedian Tom Papa
Did you know the average American drives less than 40 miles per day? That means most Americans could drive a battery electric vehicle for days without needing charging, but why would you? It takes a matter of seconds to plug-in your car when you get home and your battery will be ready to go when you leave in the morning. And, many plug-in hybrid electric cars have longer ranges than cars that run solely on gasoline. With a variety of technologies and models to choose from, there is an electric car that will go the distance that fits your lifestyle.
- Department of Energy – Top Attributes of a Fuel Cell Vehicle
- Electrek – Median Electric Car Range Increased
- Press Release – States Unite to Advance Electric Car Charging Infrastructure in the Northeast
- Battery electric vehicles have a driving range starting at 80 miles per charge, up to 250 miles
- Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles offer 15 to 50 miles of all electric driving and can be driven an additional 350 to 600 miles on the gasoline engine if needed
- Fuel cell electric vehicles have a range of 300 to 350 miles
Battery electric and plug-in hybrid electric cars are like a cell phone, you rarely wait for the battery to be completely depleted before recharging, and most charging is typically done at home while you are sleeping. Like a cell phone, overall charging times vary based on the amount of charge the battery has, the type of charging station, and more factors that are further explained in the technology section.
- National Grid – Charging EVs
- Department of Energy – Charging at Home
- New York State Energy Research and Development Authority – Charging Options
- Most charging occurs at home, providing a new type of convenience for your lifestyle
- More and more workplaces – where vehicles routinely spend hours parked – are offering charging options for their employees
- A growing network of public charging stations, including fast charging stations, allows electric car drivers to “top off,” providing extended range for battery electric vehicles and additional electric-miles for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles
- Fast charging stations recharge electric cars in about 30 minutes, allowing battery electric vehicles to take longer road trips, and even faster charging is coming soon
Most electric car charging is done overnight at home, followed by work. So, driving an all-electric car doesn’t mean making huge lifestyle changes, except no longer needing to change the oil or go to the gas station. Even with a plug-in hybrid electric car, you’ll see a noticeable decrease in gas station trips – you could go weeks without needing to make a stop! There are several apps and websites that locate the closest charging stations for times when you’re not charging at home or at work.
- 90% of all charging is done at home and the workplace
- Workplace charging can increase the convenience and double the range of electric cars
- Numerous airports, grocery stores and shopping centers offer charging stations
- Apps, like PlugShare or AFDC, can quickly locate the closest charging stations
A Model for Every Lifestyle
What do a minivan, luxury car and SUV all have in common? Many are available in electric models. Electric cars have similar sizing specs, interiors, exteriors, safety features and accessories as gas-powered cars. Moreover, electric motors are smoother and quieter than gas-powered motors.
- Visit our Vehicle Explore Tool to find the perfect electric car for you.
- Over 30 models available today and many more coming soon
- Available in a variety of models including SUV, luxury, sport and minivan
- Sizing specs, interior, exterior, safety features and accessories are almost identical to their gas counterparts
Get the Facts About Electric Cars
Simplify your routine with an electric car that recharges while you recharge, and with driving ranges that fit your lifestyle.
Get information on incentives to purchase electric cars and the savings from reduced operating costs.
Learn more about the technological innovations “under the hood.”
See how smart choices now can make a better future.
The Fun Factor
Go electric for vehicle performance that makes the drive to work almost as much fun as the drive home.