With the electric cars available today, you don’t have to imagine the future of mobility, you can experience it. Manufacturers have engineered innovative technology to improve safety and performance.
Electric cars are advancing our driving experience. With the power of electricity, electric cars can transfer energy to the drive train with incredible efficiency. Energy is also recovered during the braking process, known as regenerative braking, and stored back into the battery. Innovative technologies options including battery electric, plug-in hybrid electric and fuel cell electric cars are engineered to maximize range and performance.
- Electric drivetrains offer enhanced performance and handling
- Regenerative braking uses the inertia of the vehicle generated during the braking process and transforms it into electricity that is stored in the battery
- Electric car technology continues to evolve as researchers find new resources, like the negative electrodes created with lithium metal, that advance range, increase battery storage capacity and upgrade performance
- Fuel cell car technology is powered by electricity that is created through a chemical reaction
We know that peace of mind is important, which is why all vehicles (including electric cars) go through rigorous testing and meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Some electric cars offered today have also received Top Safety Pick ratings.
Performance and Weather
Weather conditions can impact your vehicle’s performance and diminish its fuel or battery efficiency, whether it’s a gasoline-powered car or an electric car. But with at-home charging and convenient refueling options when on the road or at work, your electric car can still get you where you need to go, whatever the weather.
- Some electric cars are available with features like all-wheel drive and can perform well in cold weather
- Find an all-wheel drive electric car on the Vehicle Explorer Tool
- Fuel cell electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid electrics are minimally impacted by cold weather, meaning they still have most of their full range even in the dead of winter
Get the Facts About Electric Cars
Simplify your routine with an electric car that recharges while you recharge, and with driving ranges that fit your lifestyle.
Get information on incentives to purchase electric cars and the savings from reduced operating costs.
Learn more about the technological innovations “under the hood.”
See how smart choices now can make a better future.
The Fun Factor
Go electric for vehicle performance that makes the drive to work almost as much fun as the drive home.